Thursday, January 12, 2006

Is There Such a Thing as a Fictional Memoir?

Yes, I know that everyone and their dog has already commented on The Smoking Gun's revelation that James Frey's memoir of drug- and booze-addled craziness and Criminality is, in large part, a work of fiction. But this dude claims to have run rampant over some of my old stomping grounds, so I figured I'd take my pass at it too.

A Million Little Pieces had been on my "to read" list (just after I finish James Stewart's fascinating Disney War, and Doris Goodwin's latest Lincoln epic).

But, no more. What had made it seem a compelling read (at least from the reviews I saw) was the fact that it was true - that this guy really did sink to such depths. When reality is better than stuff you can make up, that's a good read.

But, apparently, anyone CAN make this stuff up.

The novelist told Oprah, ""If I was gonna write a book that was true, and I was gonna write a book that was honest, then I was gonna have to write about myself in very, very negative ways."

Hmmm. Maybe, not so much.

1 Comments:

Blogger LargeBill said...

I'm not going to comment about the guy who made up his memoirs since that one has been beat to death elsewhere. However, I was considering buying the book on Lincoln's cabinet. How about posting a review of that one after you read it.

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory & Search engine Find Blogs in the Blog Directory Blogarama - The Blog Directory Personal Blog Top Sites