Friday, November 18, 2005

My Tomato Plants

Last weekend, before the hard freeze hit, I figured I had pushed my luck far enough. I tugged all those plump little green orbs still clinging stubbornly to the vine. My annual harvest of green tomatoes was nearly overdue.

Good thing, too. The vines are all dead tonight. Dead black with the frost. Cell walls exploded by expanding frozen moisture. The season's hard end.

I plucked the green tomatoes tonight from my counter, slice them, dredged them through a mixture of corn meal, Old Bay, salt, and pepper, then let them sit for several minutes in some nice hot oil.

They rested for moments on paper towels, drained, then enjoyed a final sprinkle of Old Bay.

Still hot, crisp, redolent of summer's long-since passed promises. They were delicious with a side of blue cheese.

Welcome, Winter, for Autumn has bid us a fond farewell.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mason said...

Jack--

AND you can cook? Damn. I love me some fried green tomatoes. :)

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory & Search engine Find Blogs in the Blog Directory Blogarama - The Blog Directory Personal Blog Top Sites